I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Smart Balance.
I received product samples, and a promotional item as a thank you for participating.
I make a lot of recipes- you all know that. Some….okay, most of them are not so healthy. But I have been trying to change that in an effort to make the things we love to eat a little better for us. So when I was asked by Mom Central to check out Smart Balance & their new packaging I was thrilled. We often purchase Smart Balance & love all the different varieties. We use it as a spread mostly but never really used it for cooking & baking. But like I said- I have been wanting to start changing our favorite recipes to make them healthier, so this was the perfect opportunity to push me to do that sooner rather than later.
I’m really loving the new square tub too. Smart Balance redesigned their round packaging to a square tub to save space in refrigerators & in the store. The 15 oz quantity is the same as before- but the new tub is eco-friendly. It reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 18% – that equals 6,487 newly planted trees each year. Very cool!! For more info on Smart Balances eco-friendly, space saving package redesign- check out their website.
I really do like the square tub- it’s amazing how just changing the shape can save me so much room in my fridge.
Caramel Pear Breakfast Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Smart Balance
- 1-1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 pears- peeled & diced
- 3 tbsp Smart Balance
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
Topping & Drizzle
- 1/2 cup Caramel/Dulce de Leche
- 1 pear peeled & sliced lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray & set aside.
- Combine all cake ingredients (except diced pears) in mixer bowl & beat until smooth batter forms.
- Fold in diced pears.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- Take 1/4 cup of caramel & drop dollops on top of batter. Take a stick or knife & drag though to swirl. Reserve remaining 1/4 cup caramel for serving.
- Add sliced pears to top- laying out across - not overlapping.
- In separate small bowl combine streusel ingredients & mix with fork. This will be more of a creamy paste like consistency - not crumbly.
- Drop in small spoonfuls on top of batter. Do not mix in.
- Bake 45-50 minutes - until toothpick test is clean.
- Cool in pan 45-60 minutes.
- Drizzle remaining caramel over top when serving.
Enjoy!!! This is a huge hit in this house!!
Don’t forget to come back & join me on Mondays for Project 52
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE