Sometimes it’s the easiest little things that are so much fun. The kids & I decided to pick up some of those fun little eyes & see how creative we could be with them. First thing was to play with some frosting tips & create these adorable little Monster Cupcakes. They would make the perfect treat for a class party, or some other Halloween gathering. Not to scary so they are good for the little ones too. The best part is that it can be a family affair when it comes to decorating. Let me show you just how easy & fun these were to make!
I started with my Basic Buttercream Frosting. It’s easy to make with just 4 ingredients. OR you can use white store bought frosting if you prefer. Then I tinted the frosting using these 2 food dye colors – Electric Green & Electric Purple. When I want a real punchy color for my frosting – I always choose the electric versions of the colors I am working with. It takes far less dye to achieve to the desired color. I made one batch of frosting & separated out into 2 bowls & then added my food color & mixed in with a rubber spatula. Just 3-4 drops on the green & 5-6 drops for the purple to get to these vivid colors.
I transferred to my pipping bags – fitted with these tips. The large one is by Bakery Crafts #4ft – this one is for the purple cupcakes. The small one is by Magic Tip #23 for the green cupcakes – gives the look of hair or grass when pipped. There are many brands that make these same type tips & they are readily available even at places like Walmart these days. You don’t have to go to the cake decorating store to find these items anymore.
I whipped up 24 cupcakes with my favorite cake mix. No need to get fancy here – regular ol’ cake mix will do just fine.
Then I like to freeze my cupcakes before working with them. I find it helps the frosting to chill onto the cupcake fast & helps it hold it’s shape. I just pipped the frosting on in the desired pattern & added the little eyes in various sizes. These are also easily found at places like Walmart. So easy in fact that I was able to have the hubs pick the up for me. Sending him to find specialty items can sometimes be quite a task – but these eyes were easy for him to find.
My kids are teens & they still loved helping me with these. Granted they were hinting around about getting to sample them as we worked – but really, that’s to be expected when working with cupcakes. Even I like to rush through the prep & photos so I can get on to enjoying them when it comes to cupcakes. What can I say??!!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix + ingredients needed
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp. whole milk
- green food coloring
- purple food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
- Prepare cake mix & bake according to the box's instructions. Let cool completely.
- Make the frosting, in a large mixing bowl (with a hand mixer) or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter, vanilla and salt together for 1 minute.
- Add the powdered sugar and milk and beat for 1 minute, scrape down the sides, remove a ⅓ cup of the frosting and place in a small bowl.
- Add the green food coloring (a few drops) to the large bowl and beat for an additional minute.
- Place the green frosting in a piping bag with a grass tip and pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Add the purple food coloring (a few drops) to the reserved frosting and mix until combined. Place the frosting in a piping bag with a large tip and pipe onto cupcakes.
- Place the eyes on.
Want more Halloween Food Ideas?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE
Join the newsletter
Subscribe & save 10% off pre-sale of our new book- COMING SOON! Plus weekly recipes & projects & of course special DEALS only for subscribers!